Thursday, February 16, 2012

It's the Little Things


Life with an almost 20 month old is, well, fun.  It is an adventure with new twists and turns around every corner.  I love my sweet baby Sam.  He is so much fun and provides me with good laughs all day long.  A few of my favorite little laughs from this past week are:


  • Ellie needed her clothes changed, so I stripped her down to her diaper while I gathered her new clothes.  Sam said, "Ellie baby poopy," then walked up to her and pulled her diaper back to check.  The next day he did the same thing, but when he saw that she wasn't poopy, he thought maybe he was the culprit so he twisted around and pulled his own diaper back!
  • Sam is quite the disciplinarian for Ellie.  When she touches something that he knows is off limits, he tells her "no touch Ellie baby."  He also tells her "no ma'am" when she does somethings that is not allowed.  He protects her like a little sister, when she does something that he thinks may hurt her, for instance this morning, she was climbing on the box of toy trucks, he tells her "careful Ellie baby, back."  He always tells her these things with such a sweet tone and he does not like it when she cries after I get on to her.  This morning I had to tell her not to touch something, which made her cry.  Sam looked up at me with the saddest I-can't-believe-you-just-made-my-Ellie-baby-cry face and then he hugged Ellie.  Such a tender boy.
  • I usually give the babies an afternoon snack when they wake up from their naps.  One day they were starving, so I just put the craisins and goldfish on the ottoman so they would quit pecking me like big chickens.  Over and over Sam picked up a piece and said, "Ellie baby bite," then he would put it in her mouth.  After a few bites he would then give her a drink of milk.  Can you tell he loves his Ellie baby?
  • Sam has a tendency to say "Amen" at the end of each song we song at church.  Last night, there was one song that he must have thought really expressed our love to God, because he belted out a very loud "AMEN!" at the end.  Half of the auditorium turned around and laughed at him.  He is a sweet baby!  I have to admit that I blushed from the attention though.
  • Sam loves to sing his ABC's.  He is really interested in learning his letters right now and is trying hard to figure them all out.  On the way to church he was singing his ABC's and he got to G, then he paused.  Usually he just skips right to "Q" at this point, but I guess he finally realized that he is skipping some letters, so this time his song went like this, "A,B, C, D, E, F, G, help me please."  So, we sang the rest for him.  Then he repeated it and was able to add "H" and "I."  And of course, he sang the rest of the way to church and then the rest of the way home.
  • Sam has become particularly fond of Bible class.  He gets so excited on Sunday mornings and Wednesdays because he knows where we are going.  We always bring him into the general assembly with us after Bible class, but last Sunday he only lasted through about 2 songs before he was pulling our hands saying, "Come on.  Bible class."  He gave Bobbye and Buster kisses and then he was on his way back to Bible class.  Fortunately the toddler nursery is also held in his classroom, so he didn't know the difference!
  • When Sam makes bad choices we tell him what he did, put him in time out if it is necessary, and make him apologize if it is appropriate.  I guess this has really hit home the act of saying, "I'm sorry."  He was playing with my make-up one morning while I was getting ready and dropped my blush which spilled all over the rug.  He immediately look up at me and said, "I'm sorry Mommy."  Bless him.
This is such a fun time with Sam.  We get many, many laughs out of our sweet boy.  It's the little times like these that are such a blessing to the two of us.  Great times with our little family!

No comments:

Post a Comment